7/24/11

The 27 Club

Do you know what the 27 Club is?
It's musicians who have died at the age of 27. Kurt Cobian, Jimi Hendrix, Jim Morrison, Janis Joplin...there's more, but those are the ones that roll off the top of my head.
Amy Winehouse has joined that club and it pisses me off. I am really mad at her.

Sometimes we have an interest in people we don't know and what happens to them affect us for reasons not explainable to us. Amy was one of those people for me.

As you know, I am an avid reader of The Daily Mail Online, a totally trashy UK tabloid. I'm not proud of it, but I love that site and visit it daily (it IS the Daily Mail after all). There were often articles on Amy and from my seat in the Durham on the other side of the pond, I encouraged her to get rid of that POS husband, get cleaned up and start making music again. It seemed like she was making a go of it for awhile. She had a new boyfriend, put on weight, and was looking healthy.

Now she's dead. The newest member of The 27 Club.

3 comments:

  1. It is sad and but hopefully it will make someone think about using and help them get clean.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Not to speak ill of the dead, but she disappointed me so much. You can only root for someone for so long before you just get disgusted (although I think ole Blake had a lot to do with that feeling of disgust; "POS" is right on the money). That being said, she was majorly talented...

    ReplyDelete