5/15/11

What Five Dollars Will Get You

Woodcrest Farm, site of several canning and cheese making adventures, is now offering ~$10 a week melange of organic produce, meat, free range eggs, and honey (not necessarily all at the same time).
I'm splitting the box with a friend - making it just $5.00 each!

This is my haul from yesterday (our first): HALF of a red leaf lettuce (it was monstrous!), half the swiss chard, half a kohlrabi (related to cabbage), snap peas, and half a dozen eggs. You couldn't get that for $5.00 in a store.


If you read this blog and are in the Chapel Hill/Durham area - give them a call and sign up (click on their name above). It's a great deal. They will also do an all meat/egg box, although that is more than the $10 average price.
I can't wait until the tomatoes come in!


*************************************************************************
This is what a whole kohlrabi looks like:












I'd never had it before.
It tastes like a cross between cabbage and a mild radish. The texture is more radish than cabbage; it reminds me a little of jicama, but not as sweet.
Jicama
I like it.

4 comments:

  1. You hit the jackpot on that one Kim, sadly we are too far away with gas prices the way they are.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That looks like a great deal. We are on an extremely tight budget these days. Trying to find good deals to get us through until I get paid the end of the month. Thanks for the tip:-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Okay, so I'm suddenly feeling really stupid about how much our CSA share costs. Let us just say it is not $5, or $10, or ANYTHING ANYWHERE NEAR THAT RANGE.

    I'm also a fan of kohlrabi--kind of crunchy, kind of kicky. If it was a person, I'd totally shop with it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. @ Kate...this is kind of a "mini-CSA" deal.
    Their "real" CSA is $100 to buy in. Some are more than that.
    Don't feel stupid! Whatever it is - it's a win/win for you and the local farms!

    ReplyDelete