2/23/11

Lack of Endorphins or Why My Mother is Like Exercise

As I drove home Monday night at 7 PM and passed right by the street that leads to her "home", I thought - yet again - that I need to see Mom.

Then it dawned on me  - seeing my mother is like exercise.
  1. It's hard to get into a routine
  2. I don't enjoy it
  3. Once I stop, it's really hard to get back in the swing of things

I wouldn't know an endorphin if it walked in here and slapped me in the face. I've never been a gym rat or addicted to anything, (good for me that is), like running. (Have you EVER seen anyone running who looks happy? No, you haven't and you know it.).

For a time, I rode my bike six miles round trip to work and walked three - four miles a day on top of that. However, read my lips - it was not enjoyable (especially the bike ride home).
I did not get up every work day morning excited about my ride to work.

Because people are crap to bike riders.

I've had things thrown at me (a large Taco Bell cup full of soda was my very favorite), and been a target for any rude phrases teenage boys feel like yelling out the window as they whiz by dangerously close.

I worried about loose dogs, packs of feral teenagers, getting hit by a car or a plain old random crash due to operator error. The weather was either hot or cold or raining.

Exercise smacks of pain and cruel taunts - not happy buzzes. Do with that what you will.

3 comments:

  1. I am addicted to running. If I miss my regular running days, I get grouchy, just ask my family! But I am not a solo runner, for me it is like religion, I have running buddies and we hold deep conversations while we huff, puff, sweat, and solve the world's problems. I love it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have a good excuse, Rocky, to keep me motivated especially on the weekends. Othersise it's my recliner. I am eating better and my weight keeps dropping off so that part is good. Your blog made a lot of good points today Kim. Really enloyed it.
    Odie

    ReplyDelete
  3. I feel exactly the same way about exercise. Even stretching, aka yoga, irritates me. Every morning as I'm doing it I think, Didn't I just DO this so-called "pose?" Ugh.

    ReplyDelete