6/13/10

Prompt Writing Poem 6/12/2010

Prompt: Write about feeling trapped

My mother is five
trapped in the web of dementia
a small fly
blissfully unaware of the spider
in her head
encroaching, wrapping, muffling
her brain cells in silk

I too am trapped
first born short straw drawn
while the others go about their business
far away
Trapped by guilt and love and
responsibility
By blood and honor and
should
Trapped by right and trust and
more guilt
By worry and shame and
what if it were me


**************************************
You have fifteen minutes to write after given the prompt. This poem must have been lying in wait, because I was done in about five. This is the original:

My mother is five, trapped in the web of dementia, a small fly blissfully unaware of the spider in her head. Spreading, creeping, encroaching on brain cells daily.
I am trapped too, first born short straw drawn, while the other two go about their business far away.
Trapped by guilt and love and responsibility
By blood and honor and more guilt
Trapped by right and trust and should
By worry and shame
and what if it were me.

No comments:

Post a Comment